Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Back in hospital

Tuesday 2nd Feb 2010

From my blog read it at and be a follower at: http://carlhemmings.blogspot.com/


I awoke at 4am to find my temp had risen to 38C, I wasn't suprized,
the past week I have had a dry coff and been more achey than normal
and It stopped me from attending a friends wedding on Saturday.

On the Friday I had my first lot of Mabthera which is a drug to help
my immune system, I will have it every three months. I was told
sometimes you can get flu symtoms from it.

So I'm in a bed in emergancy at Boxhill hospital at 5.30am! They give
me some antibotics, take blood samples, so I kick back and wait for my
blood results.

So a hour past when my blood results came back showing that my
Nuetrophils (cells which fight bacteria) had gone down to 0.11, the
normal range is 2-7! That was a bit of a shock to me after waiting for
3 months for them to get to the low side of the normal range after my
stem cell transplant.

So I was admitted back into ward 3West where I was 3 weeks ago with a
similar temperature. They gave me more antibotics, fluids and a drug
to stimulate my bone marrow to produce more neutrophils.

It's Wednesday morning and my blood results have come back and it
shows my nuetrophils have increased to 0.66 which is great! So
hopefully I will be back home soon. ......

Carl

6 comments:

galfromdownunder said...

Hey Carl, Great to see modern medicine doing its level best and you holding up so well (you're lovin' that iPhone). It's not so long ago you had the transplant so looks like these things take time ... I'm sure Kim and Lochlan are largely responsible for the increase in neutrophils http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrophil_granulocyte too ... rest up!

Anonymous said...

Yo Carl,

The "GalFromDownUnder" mentioned your fight against the big C.

Sending you get well sooner and better wishes from across the seas. As a cancer survivor I believe in the power of positive thought and as your support group grows so does that power. Consider me as "joining up"

I now have someone new in honor of my yellow bracelet.

Ride Long and Prosper. Some of my ramblings here:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Ooops...looks as if my link didn't work. So try this if :

http://www.bikejournal.com/blog.asp?rname=SloJoeRecumbo

Not much..just some more bike thoughts and ramblings.

Cheers

Slo Joe Recumbo

ShirleyPerly said...

Hi Carl,

Hope you are back home and back in the saddle again soon. Glad to hear the nuetrophils are getting back up there!

Unknown said...

Man, I hope you get out of that place soon and back to spinning those little wheels.
Andrejs